Friday, June 1, 2012

T-Shirt Tote

A friend of mine asked me to make her favorite T-shirt into a tote bag. I began working on it, but my thread kept breaking. (frustration mixed with a sudden move caused a 3 month pause on the project)
Today I re-attempted the feat. I was slightly more successfully. 




First I turned the t-shirt inside out. I cut the shirt across the top under the collar and then sewed it closed. Next I cut off the sleeves and turned it right side out. Folding the shirt in half (right side in) I sewed the two sides (making a rectangle with the top open). I made a pocket in the back and added camo handles I had picked up on sale at a craft store.

I also experimented with an old Coke T-shirt, making a chill sling bag.



I discovered during these projects that jersey knit is best sewed with a zig zag stitch. This stitch stretches with the fabric. Straight stitches are NOT good to use with jersey knit. Also, using a smaller zig zag stitch will work better as a larger stitch will stretch too much.


be sure to check out my FB page:  www.facebook.com/AbintraDesigns

No comments:

Post a Comment