Friday, June 22, 2012

Silhouette Painting

For the most part this blog has been a lot of sewing tutorials and updates on how my small business (Abintra Designs) is doing. Today I would like to start adding a few different things to my blog. I have a wide variety of creative skills and interests, and I would like to share those with you as well. Trying new things and expanding your vision is how you grow.

I read a quote the other day that I thought was very appropriate with the theme of this blog (Trial & Error), here it is:
QUOTE

I was browsing Pinterest the other day when I pinned this idea:

Painting Project

In their demonstration they used magazine clipping in a modge podge for the back ground to the silhouette. I was thinking about how I would like to try this when I came across an old painting I had...uh attempted.
Here it is:


When I had first painted it, it was supposed to be an abstract sunset. It did not come out quite like I had hoped, but had some amazing colors. It made a great background for my silhouette painting.

I went on line and searched "silhouette". After scrolling through a few pages of images I found this one:



I opened it in Microsoft Word and stretched it so the outline I wanted filled the page, then printed it. I cut out the silhouette carefully. Then using scotch tape rolled, I attached the cut out where I wanted it on the painting. (don't use too much tape, just enough around the edges to keep it in place) Using off-white acrylic craft paint and a 1/2 in paint brush I painted around the cutout, starting each stroke on the paper and pulling the brush over the edge of the cutout and onto the canvas.


 Continue to paint the rest of the canvas with the off-white paint. Use random strokes for effect. After the paint dries carefully remove the cutout. TA-DA!




You could use many things as a background for a silhouette painting. An old painting, a yard sale print, a dollar store wall hanging, last week's newspaper.  Be creative!

No comments:

Post a Comment