Friday, June 8, 2012

Summer Dress


Today I decided to get a little creative and make a dress for summer. I used the cut off part of a pair of jeans I had made into shorts and an old shirt that I didn't like how it fit. I began with the jeans. These were stretchy wide legged pants. So it worked really well for the bottom part of the dress.  



I cut each leg up one of the seams and laid it out flat.



 Next I cut the extra off the the side that I cut open. 
This made sewing the two sides together much easier. 



          I took both legs (now open and flat) and sewed them on the two sides, right sides together.


Next I took my shirt (it was an awesome shirt in the store, but I hated how it fit) and measured across the bottom. I chose to use this section of the shirt for my dress, but depending on what shirt you choose to use will depend on what section you use.  


I then basted around the top of the jean portion of the dress. Gathering just enough fabric so that the bottom part of the dress measured up with the top portion. 


With the front side of the skirt and shirt together I sewed them together. 
Because my shirt had a bottom hem I wanted to show I folded that part over before sewing. 


To sew the above seam I used a zig zag stitch, since both materials I was using were stretchy. 


Flip it right side out and it looks like this:


I cut the side of this shirt down to about 3.5" from the seam. This is my arm hole.



Then I hemmed the back and edges of the shirt. I left the top section of the shirt how it was (after I cut off the sleeves and lace of the original shirt) and tied the knots while the dress was on me to measure the size of the "sleeves".


The dress was a little loose, so I made 2 pleats in the back.


 The pleats were about 4" appart and 1.5" deep. 


                                                                         All done!


No comments:

Post a Comment